#YOUTH2017 INTERNATIONAL PROGRAMME WORKSHOP MESSAGE FOR GRADUATES
TOPIC: PRESENT OPPORTUNITY TO FACE THE FUTURE
TEXT: JOB 11:13-19, ECCLESIASTES 12:1, 13-14.
We have heard so many message and teachings on how to succeed in life, make impacts and make heaven at last. However, there are things you must know as a male / brother, that will help you now as a youth and also prepare you for a glorious and happy future.
A balanced knowledge of who you are?
What your role is as a man and the expectation of God, parents, pastors, leader, elders, teachers, future partner and children; will help you to begin to mould your life in view of you becoming a male / brother that people and God can testify about. Every young person here must ask himself this question; what kind of son, man, friend and husband etc do I want to be, 5-10 years from today where do I want to be, who do I want to become and what will I be doing? Answer to these questions will become a guide to you and also motivate you towards cultivating the right attitude and character that will earn you a glorious and happy future.
For more insight of this message, we shall consider the following sub – headings (i) pitfalls and challenges on the pathway of young brother (ii) pillars and building block for a glorious and happy future.
1. PITFALLS AND CHALLENGES ON THE PATHWAY OF YOUNG BROTHERS
Genesis 25:27, 29-34, Hebrew 12:16-17; the youthful stage is full of error and mistakes; due to the restlessness, arrogance, exuberance and eruption cum development of the various hormones (reproductive organ) etc. the peculiarity of this period and the vices prevalent in the society has both enslaved and endangered if not marred; the future of many youth. So, we must be careful of the pitfall and challenges that confront young brothers today. Let’s consider some of them as we proceed in our study;
1. Identity crisis: many young men have not come to accurate self knowledge of “who” they are, rather they allow society / environment to define them e.g. inferiority complex, desire to fit in. This desire to fit in or ignorance of their uniqueness as individuals, have led to so many things young people do just to be accepted in a group.
2. Sexual – pressure: due to rapid development of reproductive organ and the exposure to erotic content young men’s sexual desire have been blown out of control; this have made them promiscuous.
3. Wrong association and undue closeness to opposition sex
4. Untamed appetite and addition
5. External allurement (cultism, social – media vices, pleasure points, violence etc).
6. Wrong use of freedom, time and resources
7. Going through life without vision or a sense of mission.
8. Ignorance and unteachableness.
9. Laziness and slothfulness
10. Deficiency in character or right attitude.
Every brother that wants to have a happy future must therefore take not of the above and respond adequately.
2. PILLARS AND BUILDING BLOCK FOR A GLORIOUS AND HAPPY FUTURE
Job 22:21-30, proverbs 3:1-18, 32-35; every brother here must realize that Obi will not remain a boy; therefore it becomes necessary that you become deliberate about your life and begin to lay solid foundation for your future. “You can’t eat your cake and have it”, you can’t yield to pressures / enjoy pleasure and not mar you future. Having considered the pitfall, we shall hereby look at those things that will guarantee a happy future;
1. Cultivate and build a relationship with God
2. Work on your character (Acronym)
Let’s look at the acronym of CHARACTER as essential for a happy future
C = Commitment to strong values and capacity development.
H = Humility and Holiness
A = Accountability
R = Respect
A = Accommodation
C = Courage
T = Trustworthiness
E = Exemplary – life – style and sound education
R = Repentance and Right perspective to life.
3. Discover yourself, purpose, passion and potential and develop it.
4. Define all your relationship especially with the opposite sex.
5. Be responsible, work – hard and make savings.
6. Think investment; your money, time, energy and network of relationship (those you know) should be leverage upon. Aim at financial independence and self development.
7. Keep yourself pure: from drugs, addiction, sexual immorality etc.
8. Seek know ledge, understanding and wisdom.
9. Locate / find a mentor, coach and a prophet over your life (Honour, listen and follow them).
10. The word of God contains principles for life study it and apply it.
11. Protect your name, watch your tongue, guard your heart, train your hands, discipline your ears and eyes and keep your feet.