WORKSHOP TRAINING FOR STUDENTS IN SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL Category (SS 1 – SS 3) AT #YOUTH2017 INTERNATIONAL PROGRAMME
TOPIC: ATTITUDE THAT ATTRACTS SUCCESS
TEXT: DANIEL 1:8; PROVERBS 24:30-34; DANIEL 6:1-3
The heart desire of everyone existing on this planet earth is to achieve success both in the sacred and in the secular world. As such, the students are not exempted. The level we are now is very essential and it’s a pointer to fulfilling our set goals / ambitions in life.
So, you as an art, commercial or science student should know where you are heading to and the attitude you have to imbibe in order to achieve success.
We shall consider the message under the following sub-titles.
A. SETTING THE PACE FOR SUCCESS
As a student, apart from aspiring for greatness, passing your exams or getting good grades in your O’level in one sitting, there are attitude that must be inculcated in you. These are;
• HARD WORK: You should know that hard work is irreplaceable on the path of success. You must be dedicated to it Pro. 22:29.
• PERCEPTION: You must change your perception (your view, thoughts or reality) about your teacher, a particular subject and even to life in general.
• MAKE REVIEWS: (Be voracious in reading content that are connected to field of study and your life’s purpose): You must be given to studying, not just glancing but revising what you have been taught or what the syllabus states.
• PREPAREDNESS: Every wise student must not see exam as a threat but a platform to advance to the next class. You should always prepare ahead of exams by going ahead of the class and cultivating a study habit that puts you ahead of the class in every subject by utilizing your scheme of work efficiently.
• BELIEVE: You must break away from any form of low self-esteem, insecurity and fear; believe in yourself (potential, uniqueness, effort, etc.) Phil. 4:13.
• DEPEND ON GOD: Without God you can do nothing. You must totally trust in God to help you remember what you have been taught and to shade the right answer Pro.3:5-7; Jn. 15:4-5.
Success is not for lazy students, those who do not attend class, who do not do their assignment, attend assembly, read, write note or refuse to burn midnight candles cannot attract success Pro. 22:29.
B. IDENTIFY YOUR FRAILTIES AND WORK ON THEM
Success is not a day job as we know, that no one was conferred with success from birth rather, everyone of us has equal right and opportunities to plan, read and achieve success. You must be able to understand your frailties or weakness and seek for advice on how to tackle and overcome them.
You should know your strength and your weaknesses on every subject and prioritize them in your personal timetable for special attention with keen interest. Many students spend their time while those that have the mind to succeed invest their time. Your personal timetable must cover everything about your day to day activities Eccl. 3:1. If you discover you are not meeting up with the school syllabus then, get a private teacher or attend tutorials so as to develop yourself.
Furthermore, you must avoid distractions from friends and sinful friends and trust in the Lord to achieve the desired success Jn. 15:4-5. Also, you must know that for you to be promoted to the next level/class, you need God because He is the giver of success Ps. 75:6.